Lehigh Regional Medical Center Earns National Recognition with the 2021 Leapfrog Top Hospital Award for Outstanding Quality and Safety
- The Leapfrog Group is an independent national organization committed to healthcare quality and safety.
- Lehigh Regional Medical Center received the 2021 Leapfrog Top General Hospital
- Along with the 2021 Top Hospital Award, Lehigh Regional Medical Center was also awarded the “A” Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade for Fall 2021.
LEHIGH ACRES, FL, December 7, 2021 –Lehigh Regional Medical Center has been recognized as a Top Hospital by The Leapfrog Group. This national distinction recognizes the highest quality hospitals through the Leapfrog Hospital Survey and is widely acknowledged as one of the most competitive awards an American hospital can receive.
“We are pleased to recognize Lehigh Regional Medical Center as a Top Hospital this year,” said Leah Binder, President and CEO of The Leapfrog Group. “Even with the continued strain of the COVID-19 pandemic, Lehigh Regional Medical Center has demonstrated an extraordinary dedication to excellent health care in the Lehigh community. We congratulate the Board of Directors, leadership, staff and clinicians who put their patients first.”
For 2021, Leapfrog awarded 149 Top Hospitals in four categories: Top Children’s, Top General, Top Rural and Top Teaching. Lehigh Regional Medical Center received a Top General Hospital distinction. Lehigh Regional Medical Center also received recognition this year as a “100 Top Hospital” from Fortune/IBM Health.
To qualify for the Top Hospitals distinction, hospitals must rank top among peers on the Leapfrog Hospital Survey, which assesses hospital performance on the highest standards for quality and patient safety. To see the methodology for Top Hospitals and the full list of institutions honored as 2021 Top Hospitals, visit www.leapfroggroup.org/tophospitals.
“At Lehigh Regional Medical Center our goal is to provide the highest quality care to our patients and our physicians and caregivers make patient safety and quality care their first priority,” said Cheryl McIntire, CEO/CFO of Lehigh Regional Medical Center. “As CEO I am proud of this accomplishment. We are blessed to serve Lehigh Acres and the surrounding communities and we are extremely grateful to our staff for making it possible to achieve Leapfrog’s Top General Hospital distinction.”
In a 2019 analysis, the Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality found 45,000 fewer deaths than a 2016 analysis, based on the prevalence of safety problems in hospitals graded by The Leapfrog Group. The safety scores consider such factors as:
- How often a hospital gives patients recommended treatment for a given medical condition or procedure
- The environment in which patients receive care (e.g. whether a hospital uses a computerized physician order entry system to prevent medication errors)
- What happens to a patient while receiving care (e.g. whether care teams left foreign objects in patients while undergoing surgery)
- The Safety Grade uses up to 27 national performance measures to grade hospitals using a methodology developed with guidance from the foremost experts in patient safety. The Safety Grade’s methodology is peer-reviewed and fully transparent, and the results are free to the public.
About Lehigh Regional Medical Center
Lehigh Regional Medical Center, a member of Prime Healthcare, is accredited by The Joint Commission with the Gold Seal of Approval. Lehigh Regional Medical Center received “100 Top Hospital” recognition from Fortune/IBM Watson Health in 2021 for its clinical quality. The state-of-the-art, 88-bedhospital provides specialty care services that include Emergency Services, Cardiology, Critical Care, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Nephrology, and Orthopedics delivering patient-centered healthcare with dignity and respect for all. For more information, visit
About Prime Healthcare and Prime Healthcare Foundation
Prime Healthcare is an award-winning health system operating 45 hospitals and more than 300 outpatient locations in 14 states, providing over 2.6 million patient visits annually. It is one of the nation’s leading health systems with nearly 50,000 employees and physicians dedicated to providing the highest quality healthcare. Fourteen of the Prime Healthcare hospitals are members of the Prime Healthcare Foundation, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charity. Based in Ontario, California, Prime Healthcare has been named a Top 10 and Top 15 Health System by IBM Watson Health. Its hospitals have been named among the nation’s “100 Top Hospitals” 58 times and have received more Patient Safety Excellence Awards from Healthgrades than any other health system in the past six years. To learn more, please visit www.primehealthcare.com.
Find us on:
Media Contact: Amy Ritzel / firstname.lastname@example.org